Speech-Language Pathologist, Speech Therapist and Communicative Disorders Assistant?

Newed on by nate.woods

What is the difference between a Speech-Language Pathologist, a Speech Therapist and a Communicative Disorders Assistant?

A Speech-Language Pathologist or SLP is a university trained professional who assesses and treats people that have a communication difficulty. In Ontario, SLPs have a Masters Degree (or equivalent) and must be registered with the College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario (CASLPO).

SLPs used to be known as Speech Therapists (STs) however, today the title SLP is preferred. This is to help the general public be more aware of the SLP’s role in working with other aspects of communication, not just speech or articulation.

A Communicative Disorders Assistant (CDA) has earned a post graduate diploma in Communicative Disorders. CDAs are trained to assist an SLP and deliver therapy under the supervision of an SLP. In each individual case the SLP determines whether or not working with a CDA is the best course of action for individual therapy. CDA hourly rates are lower than SLP rates, therefore offering a more cost-effective way of receiving therapy.

This entry was newed in Article. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.